iron contaminated water is a common condition in many families, it significantly affects the daily activities and quality of life of people. In this article, Song Phung Environmental Company will share about how to filter iron in water, how to effectively remove iron in well water at home.
What is iron water?
Iron-contaminated water is a source of water with a cloudy yellow color, a fishy odor, and a sour taste when tasting water. If water is left in a bucket or pot for about 10-15 minutes, precipitation will occur, the surface will have a yellow layer and turn yellow brick.
In addition, iron contaminated water also has indicators of water quality that exceed the permissible limits such as TDS, pH, and water hardness.
Harm of water contaminated with iron
Before clarifying how to filter iron in water at home, Song Phung will review some of the harmful effects of iron contaminated water to human health. Specifically, water contaminated with iron greatly affects the lives and causes material damage of many users’ families as follows:
- Iron-contaminated water is opaque yellow, so when washing clothes, clothes will be yellowed and dull.
- Using ỉon-contaminated water in daily life will cause: dry skin, dry hair, yellow skin, yellow teeth, dermatitis, etc. More serious will be diarrhea, intestinal inflammation, kidney disease, stomach pain. Even cancer is very dangerous.
- Water contaminated with ỉon yellows, deposits, corrodes and rusts metal utensils and utensils used in cooking or plumbing.
Simple and effective way to filter iron in water at home
From the above harms, many people have sought to treat iron in water to limit the impact on the health of themselves as well as family members. There are many ways to remove iron in well water on the market today. Here are some simple but effective ways to treat iron in water and how to filter iron water at home. You can refer and apply right away!
Use kitchen ashes
Kitchen ash is an effective iron-contaminated water filter material applied by many people, because the material is easy to find and the method is extremely simple.
Proceed as follows:
- Step 1: Prepare 2 bowls of kitchen ash and about 100 liters of water.
- Step 2: Put 2 bowls of kitchen ash into the bucket, then pour 100 liters of water and stir well.
- Step 3: Wait for about 2 hours for the iron to settle, then decant the water in use.
Use lime to reduce iron
Similar to kitchen ash, lime is also an extremely useful material used to filter alkaline water. When lime is added to water, a chemical reaction occurs that causes the iron in the water to be removed, resulting in alum-free water, which is very safe for the health of the user.
How to reduce iron in water with lime as follows:
- Step 1: Take 50g of lime and pour it into the bucket with about 1m3 of water.
- Step 2: Gently stir the lime into the water and wait for about 15 minutes for the alum to settle.
- Step 3: Proceed to decant clear water and use.
Using chemicals to treat iron water
Some chemicals are effectively used by wastewater treatment units such as: chlorine, potassium permanganate, iodine solution, ozone, etc. These solutions have strong oxidizing agents that can reduce iron (Fe2+) or aluminum alum. present in wastewater.
However, this way of filtering iron water has many limitations such as having an unpleasant odor if chlorine is used and if excess chemicals are used, it will directly affect the health of the user. Besides, if you buy poor quality chemicals, the alum water filtration process is not as effective as expected.
Using a pre-filter tank system
Pre-filter tank is a simple method of alum water treatment applied by many households because it can be used to filter water for a long time. However, using a filter tank system to filter iron water does not bring high efficiency, only filtering a part of impurities in the water, consuming a lot of effort, cost and installation area.
How to filter iron water with a filter tank system as follows:
- Step 1: Build a filter tank with 3 compartments including settling compartment, filter compartment and storage compartment. The settling compartment has a large volume, the filter compartment has a small volume.
- Step 2: Pump up the water, the water will flow through the filter compartment and filter the water and then put it into the use compartment.
Use a water filter
Water purifier is one of the most effective methods of treating alum contaminated water today, helping to remove iron alum, filter bacteria and viruses in water sources, and obtain pure, clean, safe water to use.
On the market today, there are many effective iron water purification technologies such as Nano, RO or UF technology. Each technology has its own advantages and disadvantages. Depending on the needs of each person, choose the type of water purifier with the appropriate technology.
For example: 50GPD home RO water filter, 100 GPD home RO water filter,…These machines are capable of preventing bacteria by reverse osmosis, allowing only water to pass through and retaining bacteria, dirt, impurities, and toxins that are harmful to health.
>> Maybe you are interested:
Translator: Duong Nguyen Hoang Khang